Saturday, September 20, 2014

People Keep asking me for money - Greece Edition

Every now and then, I get spam emails at work asking for money.  I write back to them, and see how long I can keep stringing them along.  My responses always involve some trite reference to local food and sights, belittling their difficult and trying times.


Edition #1: Marcy, stuck in Greece.



 Hello,
I am sorry I did not inform anyone I was traveling to Greece to see my ill cousin due to the urgency. She is suffering from a kidney failure and needs to undergo an urgent surgery to save her life. I came here with little cash which has been exhausted and now my credit card has malfunctioned, it is not withdrawing money over here.
 I need you to loan me $1,800 to sort out the bill for the necessary surgery to save her, I am not happy with the situation here so I contacted you for some financial assistance. I promise to pay back with some interest as soon as I return before weekend. Your prompt response will be greatly appreciated, I look forward to read from you so I can send you the details to use in sending the money.
Thanks so much!
Marcy :)

____

Oh my god, Marcy!  I am so sorry about your cousin!!  Are you sure you ONLY need $1800??  Is this going to cover future medical expenses?  Have you thought about what sort of things your cousin is going to need AFTER the surgery?

Isn’t the economy in Greece really touch and go right now?  Have you thought about THAT???

Please let me know what else you need. 

____

Hi Cindy,

Thank you so much,
I really will appreciate your help. Yes that is the exact amount I need so you will have to wire $1,800 through a western union outlet to my details below using money in minutes transfer because I can't make use of my account now

Name:Marcy Kornreich
Address: 10 Syngrou Avenue, 
City: Athens 
Zip Code: 11742 
Country: Greece

I will pay back as soon as I return. After the transfer you will let me have the money transfer confirmation number ( Mtcn ) and location the money was sent from. Thanks a lot, I will wait to read from you soon.

Thanks so much!

Marcy :)

_____

Dear Marcy,
I am REALLY not convinced that $1800 USD is enough for you.  I already started a fundraiser at my workplace, and I have so far collected $32.82.  I need more information about your cousin.   A picture of your cousin would be great, you know, to put on the posters.  Is she young?  Any details would be great to get more people more involved.

Last year, there was a child in the community who became very ill, and the outpouring of funds and emotion was so heartwarming!!!  I would love to be able to help.  I get such joy and satisfaction from helping others.

Anything else you could tell me would really help!


____

Hi Cindy,

Her treatment and medications has been taken care of, I need $1,800 to sort out my hotel bills and catch up with the next available flight back home.

Presently am running out of time here, the more days I stay the more bills on me and more over there's no scanner here, she is a young girl. Probably as soon as I return this week I will come with her pictures.

Please let me read from you soon.
Thanks so much!

Marcy :)


______

Dear Marcy,
The fundraiser is going really well!!!  So far we have collected $152.95.  I can’t stop thinking about what you and your cousin must be going through.  I had an aunt who had bone cancer and, well, I wanted to donate my marrow but we weren’t compatible.  So I felt like a huge failure when she passed away.  She was really special to me.  I feel like I have an opportunity to make up for my failure with Aunt Tilly. 

How are you doing?  Are you at least able to see the Acropolis?  You should try Halloumi cheese.  It is grilled, and delicious.

Cindy


_____
Marcy Quits.

No comments:

Post a Comment