Sunday, September 8, 2013

The inaugural note

The inaugural note goes to my kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Fran Winick. 

Mrs. Winick, for what reason I don't know, took four of her students aside after school was over and taught us to write.  Kids were learning to write in the 1st grade, but she saw something special in the four of us, I guess, and I would stay after school with her and practice in a special notebook I had.

Out of the four of us, I was the only girl.

This is the only note that I'm going to share, because I think it needs to be shared, and considering tomorrow is the first day for students, it seemed particularly fitting.

***
Dear Mrs. Winick,

I teach in a world where parents push their kids too much, where every kid's a genius.  My parents never pushed me to do anything, which was fine.  But you saw some potential in me that I didn't see, and probably my parents, either... And I have carried that special feeling with me my whole life.

I have always felt special, and I think it's all because of you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

<3 Cindy

***

This is where my mother chimes in and tells me that I'm special and apologizes profusely for never pushing me.  IT'S FINE, MOM, YOU DID GREAT.


No comments:

Post a Comment